November 04, 2003

Economy of Motion - Part 2

Returning from France to the UK, I had all the time in the world so I decided to see what fuel economy I could squeeze out of the bike. Returning on the same 590 mile route riding carefully at no more than 80mph (130kph - this being the Autoroute speed limit) saw fuel consumption climb to just short of 50mpg (5.8 l/100km).

Unfortunately, riding to achieve this was incredibly dull so, with the experiment duly performed, I have gone back to my usual style.

I now usually commute about 75 miles per day of which 45 miles or so is motorway/national speed limit, 15 miles is reasonable free moving 50mph limit and 15 miles is dead slow filtering.

With my reasonable head on, I'm getting just over 40mpg (7.1 l/100km) although when I'm in hooligan mode that falls to around 32mpg (8.9 l/100km).

Conclusion? Well, I guess the Pan is as economical as you choose to make it. Bearing in mind that it's got a whacking great motor you can still get very reasonable economy from it. Or not.

No comments: